This alert has been closed and is no longer available.
Job Purpose and Summary
Ingomar Packing is a successful, privately-held California tomato processor with significant fluctuations in its work force requirements due to the seasonal nature of the business. The human resource manager or director is directly responsible for the overall administration, coordination and evaluation of the human resource function, by performing the duties personally or through subordinates or operations employees.
Duties and responsibilities
1. Provides assistance in identifying, evaluating, and resolving human relations and work performance problems. Meets informally with organization personnel, managers, supervisors and work units to facilitate effective interpersonal communication among participants. Identifies, evaluates and solves human relations and work related problems that adversely affect employee morale and organization productivity.
2. Manages recruitment effort for all exempt, non-exempt and seasonal workers; writes and places advertisements; schedules and manages job fairs or recruitment events, works with supervisors to screen and interview candidates; conducts reference checking; extends job offers; conducts new-employee orientations; monitors employee relations counseling; conducts exit interviews.
3. Stays up to date and ensures legal compliance with applicable federal and state labor laws and regulations impacting the company. Consults with legal counsel or third party resources as needed. Conducts investigations; maintains records; coaches management and supervisors in all terminations and in disciplinary actions as needed. Prepares employee separation notices and related documentation. Conducts exit interviews to determine reasons behind separations. Represents organization at human resources related hearings and investigations.
4. Advises plant or department managers, supervisors and employees of company policy regarding equal employment opportunities, discipline, compensation, employee benefits, etc. Prepares and delivers presentations to corporate officers or management regarding human resources policies and practices. Develops and coordinates or conducts training to instruct organization managers, supervisors and workers in legal issues and/or human relations skills such as supervisory skills, conflict resolution skills, interpersonal communication skills, sexual harassment laws and guidelines, and effective group interaction skills.
5. Maintains the work structure by updating job requirements and job descriptions for all positions. Maintains a competitive pay plan by conducting periodic wage and salary surveys; scheduling and conducting job evaluations; preparing budgets; monitoring and scheduling individual pay actions; recommending, planning, and implementing pay structure revisions.
6. Administers employer and government mandated benefits programs. Maintains records and knowledge of insurance coverage and 401(k) pension plan to assist employees. Assesses benefit needs and trends; recommends benefit programs to management; directs the processing of benefit claims; obtains and evaluates benefit contract bids; awards benefit contracts. Coordinates open enrollments. Completes monthly premium calculations.
7. Develops, recommends and implements personnel policies and procedures; prepares, updates and maintains handbook(s) on policies and procedures.
8. Using computerized HRIS system and relevant hard copies, oversees maintenance of all human resource records. Records or processes payroll changes such as position, department, wage and salary, exemptions, garnishments, direct deposit and premium deductions. Processes employee new hire and terminations through HRIS system.
9. Work closely with Accounting and Payroll administration in ensuring accurate, timely payment of employees. May include distribution of paychecks.
10. Coordinate with workers’ compensation carriers regarding claim management to assist in reducing claim exposure, facilitate and supervise the limited duty work program.
11. Performs any other duties assigned by the Chief Operating Officer from time to time.
Learn more and apply here!